"Baptism makes us members of the Body of Christ: 'Therefore . . . we are members one of another.'(Eph 4:25) Baptism incorporates us into the Church. From the baptismal fonts is born the one People of God of the New Covenant, which transcends all the natural or human limits of nations, cultures, races, and sexes: 'For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body.'(1 Cor 12:13)"
~Catechism of the Catholic Church - 1267
Baptism is the first of the initiation sacraments of the church and has the most symbols associated with it (name, cross, white garment, candle, chrism, water, litany of the saints, word of God, creed, etc.).
To schedule a Baptism, contact the parish office at 501-327-6568 or email Caryn Hoyt.
To get your child baptized at St. Joseph Church you must:
- Be registered in the Parish-to register stop by the parish office and fill out a registration form. Once you are registered you will start receiving tithing envelopes in the mail.
- Be actively attending Mass-mass attendance is tracked through tithing envelopes (with or without contribution) placed in the offering basket at Mass. If you forget your envelopes any piece of paper with your name and date placed in the offering basket will work!
- Attend baptism class-parents must attend a baptism class prior to the baptism of their child. The class must be repeated if it has been more than 2 years since the last attendance. The baptism classes are held on the 2nd Tuesdays of every month at 7pm in the Parish Offices. You can register for the class when you call about the baptism. Parents AND godparents need to attend this class.
1. Must have at least one Confirmed, practicing Catholic godparent - male or female.
a. If godparent is a member of St. Joseph:
i. He/she must be a registered member of the parish who is actively attending Mass
ii. He/she must attend the baptism class
b. If godparent is a member of a different parish a letter must be sent from his/her parish to St. Joseph stating that he/she is a Confirmed, practicing Catholic in good standing with the church. This letter must be received PRIOR to the baptism.
2. No more than two godparents - one male, one female.
3. A non-Catholic participant/mentor that is part of the baptismal ceremony will be noted as a witness in the baptismal records.
Baptism Class Schedule (2015)* Dates might change at any time.
· April 14, 2015
· May 12, 2015
· June 9, 2015
· July 14, 2015
· Aug 11, 2015